The boy requested scallops for dinner, so I made seared scallops over buttered noodles. I’ll tell you what, seared scallops are crazy-super-easy to make. Here’s how:
- Get some fresh jumbo scallops from your fishmonger. I suppose you could use frozen scallops, but I dunno how that works.
- Rinse the scallops in cold water, pat dry with a paper towel, then salt and pepper.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add a dollop of butter and a splash of olive oil. When the butter and oil just barely start to smoke, gently place the scallops in the pan, making sure not to crowd them.
- Sear the scallops on each side for a minute and a half. Make sure you don’t overcook that shizz or it will taste like rubber bands! The center should be slightly translucent.
- Voilà! Serve immediately. It’s pretty good!
Ensign Ro’s potent mix of cultural pride and cultural shame is painful, and I’m so glad we get that represented on Star Trek with such a strong character.
One thing I loved about this scene (and TNG did this a lot in general) was that Picard didn’t insist on Earth-based protocol, he didn’t make excuses. He just apologised, admitted he didn’t know what was proper to her culture, and made a point of fixing it.
Some people need to take lessons from Jean-Luc.
harry potter spin-off tv series meme (006/?)
hog’s head inn | upon the reading of the final will and testament of aberforth dumbledore, dean (stewart-jarrett) and seamus (garfield) find themselves the joint owners of the hog’s head inn. it’s only after settling in that they realize there are a few strings attached. first there’s demelza (mavor) the barmaid, who spouts prophesies in a mix of homer, ibsen, and sunday comic strips. then there are the regulars - professors aurora sinistra (bassett) and septima vector (aghdashloo) and their love affair which mostly seems to consist of gossiping about other patrons and very elegant eye sex; rival quidditch coaches dave baxter (hardy) and darius nightray (elba) and their ongoing gobstones feud; and cassander guthrie (rush), who might have once been the head of the department of mysteries, but also might be a pathological liar. he does, after all, claim to have known dean’s father.
or, the harry potter sitcom.